This 页面 contains answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about online learning.
Online courses are structured so that all of the 课程内容 traditionally delivered in the classroom is delivered online. Course materials may be accessed by means of a Learning Management System (LMS) such as Canvas, the LMS used by 亚博体育; publishers resources or links to publisher’s online content provided with textbooks; and through other online means. Some classes may require a few on-campus meetings or scheduled online group discussion sessions. The course syllabus will show the schedule and requirements of the course.
Your answers to the following questions will help you to decide:
- Am I a self-starter, able to motivate myself to work?
- Do I enjoy working and learning on my own?
- Can I budget my time and set schedules for myself, to get work completed on time?
- Do I have basic computer skills: word processing, 互联网浏览, 电子邮件 (including sending and receiving attachments)?
- Do I know how to work my computer’s operating system? Can I connect to my Internet Service Provider?
- Am I comfortable installing or upgrading computer software?
- Do I have the ability to learn new software without classroom instruction?
- Can I communicate adequately in writing? Can I understand and follow instructions given in writing?
- Am I comfortable participating in a class where I am not physically present and may not know the 教练 or the other students?
If you answered “yes” to most of these questions, chances are you are a good candidate for success in an online course.
A few “no” answers to these questions may identify areas that need strengthened or addressed, but you may still decide that online learning is a good choice for you.
If you answered “no” to many of these questions, this may indicate that your chances for success may be greater in a traditional course setting at this time. As your skills and experience grow, you may decide to revisit the option of online learning in the future.
If after answering these questions you are still unsure whether an online course is your best choice, 你可能想要 Self-评估 for Online Learning survey to help you decide (you may register to use the system or log in as a guest). 你也可以联系a 亚博体育.
What else can I expect with taking classes online?
- Expect to spend at least as much time (and probably 更多的 time) on an online course as you would on a traditional course.
- 灵活、有创意. You may find that it helps to print out reading materials, rather than reading them on the screen. Some students form online study groups with fellow class members.
- Use 互联网 as a teaching tool; many times answers to your questions about 互联网 can be found on 互联网.
- Get comfortable with online tools – browsers, 电子邮件, 插件, and any software being used in your course(s) – as soon as possible. When coursework becomes demanding, you will not have the added burden of trying to learn to use these as well.
- 尽早寻求帮助! Ask questions as soon as you can. Don’t delay asking your 教练 for help if you need it! Use the additional support resources available to you in the 学业成功中心 or the Learning Resources Center.
What is the difference between a 混合类 and an 网络课堂?
在一个 网络课堂, all of the instruction is provided online and no face-to-face classroom instruction is required. Students may be required to attend an orientation or take proctored exams on campus or at an approved location near the student; please refer to the course schedule for 更多的 information.
A 混合类 is a combination of face-to-face classroom instruction and online instruction. A portion of the instruction is provided online, but some regular face-to-face instruction is still required. Face-to-face time requirements will vary between hybrid courses and sections; please refer to the course schedule for 更多的 information.
Where can I find 更多的 information about 亚博体育’s online courses?
How do I enroll/register for online courses?
If you have never attended 亚博体育 社区 College, or if you are a former student who has not attended 亚博体育 for the past 两个 岁月，你必须完成一个 入学资料表. Enrollment procedures are the same as for traditional courses. New students can find information about becoming a student on the 申请及报名 页面或通过联系 学生成功中心. Students can find enrollment information on the 登记 页面.
For 更多的 information on tuition and fees, call the 业务 Services Office at (217) 875-7211, ext. 6227.
Now that I am registered, what’s next?
Activate your student account to obtain your username (NetID) and password. This is required for you to log into my亚博体育, Outlook学生电子邮件, and the Canvas Learning Management System.
Changing or resetting your password is also done through the Account Activation 页面.
How do I purchase books and other required materials for my online course(s)?
The best way to purchase books and other course materials is through the 亚博体育书店. This will assure that you are getting the correct textbook edition and any required supplementary materials. Be sure to tell the bookstore the section in which you are enrolled. Books and materials may vary slightly for online and traditional sections.
If you have completed the Canvas Student Orientation and it is the first day of class or after, course(s) will be available to you in Canvas, 亚博体育’s Learning Management System. You can access Canvas by going to http://Richland.instructure.com.
Canvas works best in Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Safari browsers. These browsers can be downloaded for free. Links to the downloads can be found by going to the Downloads 页面 at http://www.Richland.edu/online/resources#downloads.
What are the hardware and software requirements for my computer?
Please refer to theTeaching and Learning Center 硬件 & 软件需求 section.
我家里没有电脑. Can I still take an online course?
You can take an online course as long as you have access to 互联网 on a computer that meets the minimum requirements [see the Teaching and Learning Center 硬件 软件需求 信息). Every registered 亚博体育 student has a 亚博体育 NetID, which allows them to access student 电子邮件 and course information from any computer that is connected to 互联网.
Computers are available on-campus for use by online students. These are located in the Learning Resources Center and the 学业成功中心.
How can I get help with questions or technical problems?
If you have questions about an assignment, 课程内容, or software unique to your course(s) (such as a CD that came with your textbook), 你应该打电话给你的 教练.
If you think your computer may have spyware, malware, or viruses; contact the Teaching and Learning Center Student Tech Support.
How do I access my student 电子邮件?
How long is my 亚博体育 student 电子邮件 account active?
Your 亚博体育 student 电子邮件 account is active as long as you are a currently enrolled student at 亚博体育. Once you are no longer a student (not enrolled in courses for the current semester), your 亚博体育 student e-mail account will be deactivated. 通常, you have 15 days from the end of the semester to access your e-mail before it is deactivated if you are not enrolled in a course for the next semester. If you are a spring student registered for fall classes, your account generally remains active during the summer semester.